Tax Refund

Reclaims UK > Tax Refund

Are you tired of travelling to and from base?

Fed up of using your own vehicle and ending up out of pocket?

Not entitled to GYH or HDT?

Think again! You could be entitled to a Tax Refund on Travel Expenses

We have recently uncovered legislation that allows Forces personnel to reclaim a tax refund on Travel Expenses incurred if you have travelled to and from base in your own vehicle over the past 4 years.

If you have been posted or assigned to a certain base for 2 years or less we can look into what you may be owed by the Taxman. However if you have been posted for longer than 2 years we may not be able to look into this particular posting.

You may be owed a rebate for the last 4 years worth of travelling to and from base worth up to 45p per mile.

Even if you were told that you were not entitled to any allowance we believe that we can help you and if you have received GYH or HTD we can top this amount up to the 45p per mile that you should have received.

Travel Expenses Tax Refund  FAQ’s

Am I Eligible?

If you’re in the Armed Forces and use your own vehicle or public transport to travel to and from base, and have been posted to 2 or more bases in the past 4 years (including overseas), you may be due a tax refund for your travelling expenses. If you have not been at 2 or more bases and you have been reposted, reassigned, on any tours or if anything in your job circumstances has changed then you may also be eligible.

We offer free advice and our service is no win-no fee, so if you are not entitled to anything, you will not be charged.


What Is The Process?

If you pay for your own travel to and from base in your own vehicle or on public transport, we can claim back the tax relief on your travelling expenses or in some cases if you already received an allowance we can provide a top up of MoD allowances such as Get You Home or Home to Duty Travel. The MoD allowances provide you with around 20p per mile you travel whereas in accordance with the rules set out in sections 336 – 339 of the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003, you are entitled to up to 45p for the first 10,000 miles, then 25 pence per mile hereafter that you travel in your own vehicle.

All we need from you is accurate base information, tour information and your personal details on one form and then you simply need to sign the rest. We fill out all the forms on your behalf, liaise with HMRC on your behalf and ultimately make sure you receive the money you are owed in the quickest time possible.

How Much Could I Get?

On average we reclaim around £3,000 per client. Which is an average of £750 per year for the past 4 years. 4 years is the limit that HMRC allows us to go back and claim on your behalf.

Essentially we are reclaiming your tax refund for travel from Home to Base for the 2010/11, 2011/12, 2012/13 & 2013/14 Tax Years.

Next April 2015 we will be able to claim your expenses for the current 2014/15 tax year.

How Long Does It Take?

Once we have received your forms back it takes around 3 weeks to put your claim together and to calculate how much you are entitled to and then around another 3-4 weeks for HMRC to log everything and pay out what you are entitled to.

What Additional Items Do We Need From You?

• Last 4 years P60’s (Available on JPA or ArmyNet)
• Payslips from the past four years (If you have ever received any MoD allowances such as GYH or HDT, also available on JPA or ArmyNet)

In some cases, we may need additional information, such as receipts if you are travelling by public transport.

How Much Do You Charge?

As we work on a no win-no fee basis, be assured that if your claim amounts to nothing, you will not have to pay.

We take a 25%+VAT fee from any successful claim we make on your behalf, which is well below the industry average.

There are no hidden fees or charges.

When Do I Pay?

We take our fee when HMRC pay out the refund, so you will never have to pay anything up front, as we deduct our fee before you get your refund.

Married Quarters and Living on Base

If you live in married quarters, on or off base, and spend your leave periods there, it would normally be classed as your main residence. If you live on base part of the time but go home to another address for weekends or longer periods of leave, the leave address would be classed as your main residence.

In both of these cases, the claim would be for travel between your home address and your workplace. If you already receive a Get You Home Travel (GYH) or Home to Duty Travel (HDT) allowance for this, we would review the amounts received against the allowable limits and claim for any shortfall.

Some People in The Armed Forces Say I Am Not Supposed To Claim, Is This True?

No, that is not true. Refunds can be claimed. There has been a lot of confusion around tax refunds. We have taken steps to clear this up, with both the MoD and HMRC, over the past 6 months.

Some people thought that making any claim for a tax refund may mean the individual may have to repay the money back in the future. Others also thought claiming a refund would jeopardise the whole tax exemption of the MoD HDT allowance, disadvantaging many service personnel. We can confirm that none of these potential situations can arise, and this is confirmed by the MoD.

I’m Based Overseas, What Can I Claim?

We can claim back for you the same as everybody else. If you are travelling to and from a UK residence, that would be classed as your main residence.

However, if your family are living with you, your residence overseas will be classed as your main residence, and we won’t be able to claim for this.

Can I Claim For Travel To & From Training or Courses?

Unfortunately we cannot claim for these journeys, as the legislation does not cover anything to do with courses or training — only your travel to and home your regular place of work (i.e the camp or base to travel to on a daily or weekly basis).

What If I Can’t Get Hold Of My P60s/Payslips?

Please do not worry, we can call HMRC and ask for the information we require on your behalf with you P60 information on.

However you can print your P60’s off Armynet as well as your Payslips. These can also be found on JPA.

CALL US ON:0151 259 2521

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Telephone Number

Your Message

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *